Man survived accident, was struck and killed hours later


ocala post, pedestrian killed by car, marion county news, ocala news, op, ocala post, ocala newspaper

Marion County — A man who survived a three-vehicle crash Thursday morning was struck by a van and killed a short time later.

At approximately 3:27 a.m., a 2011 Ford Ranger, driven by Heriberto M. Ramos, 68, and a 2008 Freightliner, driven by Wilfredo Diaz, 40, were traveling southbound on I-75 in the area of mile marker 365 when, for unknown reasons, the two vehicles collided.

Angel L. Rios was a passenger in the Ford Ranger.


According to reports, the Freightliner swerved to the left and traveled into the center median and struck the guardrail. The Freightliner then crossed into the northbound lanes.

A 2012 Honda, driven by Jeo M. Miranda, 68, was traveling northbound on I-75 and was struck by the Freightliner.

No one was seriously injured as the result of this crash.

According to reports, northbound and southbound lanes were closed for nearly three hours due to the investigation and clean-up.

Florida Highway Patrol Public Information Officer Sergeant Tracy Hisler-Pace said that a trooper had arranged for the driver and passenger of the Ford Ranger to hitch a ride with a tow truck driver on the scene.

Sergeant Hisler-Pace said that after the scene was cleared, troopers left the scene.

Unknown to the troopers, Ramos and Rios had decided not to hitch a ride with the tow truck driver. Instead, they called a family member out of Brooksville to come pick them up and did not notify troopers of their change in plans.

While waiting for their ride, the two men began to walk south on I-75 in the dark.

A 2011 Chrysler van, driven by Shequita V. Dortly, 35, was traveling northbound on I-75 in the inside lane.

Rios was standing or walking in the inside travel lane. Troopers said it was dark and there was no ambient lighting in the area.

Dortly, who could not see Rios, struck him with the left front of the van.

Rios was then thrown in a northwesterly direction and came to rest in the grassy median. He was pronounce dead at the scene.

The investigation is ongoing.