Daytona Beach, Florida — Two Volusia County sheriff’s deputies, two adults, and an eight-month-old baby were taken to a hospital after a meth lab explosion today.
Hazmat was dispatched to the area and residents were asked to stay indoors.
According to the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, the incident happened at approximately 11:30 a.m., Wednesday, at 1216 10th Street, Daytona.
Ocala Post also obtained a copy of the 911 call.
Two deputies, concerned for the child, entered the home and were exposed to a large amount of chemical vapors.
All five individuals were transported to Halifax Health Medical Center.
An adult female and the child were taken to the hospital for precautionary evaluations. A male inside the residence required medical treatment. He was standing next to a fire extinguisher being used to cook meth when it exploded. Doctors said he would be blind for the rest of his life.
Both deputies were treated and later released. They will be monitored, but are expected to make a full recovery.
According to reports, Hazmat was at the home for hours clearing the scene due to the amount of chemicals that were on site.
Deputies said when the explosion occurred, chemicals were spread throughout the home.
The investigation is ongoing and no charges have been filed at this time.
The child was released to the mother.
Names and photos of the suspects have not been released.