The Ocala WingHouse Bar & Grill, 2145 E Silver Springs Blvd, Ocala, was immediately shut down after an emergency order was issued on December 3, following a consumer complaint. The restaurant was allowed to reopen on December 4 but will need a follow-up inspection after a time extension was given.
The Department of Business and Professional Regulation cites violations of Florida’s sanitation and safety laws, which are based on the standards of U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Food Code. High Priority violations are those which could contribute directly to a food-borne illness or injury and include items such as cooking, reheating, cooling and hand-washing.
Many of the offenses were repeat violations.
The violations are were as follows:
- Cleaned and sanitized equipment or utensils not properly stored. Glasses wet nested in the server station. Also, plates on the front counter not protected. Also, brown bowls and plates in the clean dish area not protected.
- Dead roaches on-premises. Seven dead roaches on the sticky pad under counter in the dining area at pass thru window.
- Employee beverage container on a food preparation table or over/next to clean equipment/utensils. Over prep table on cookline.
- In-use tongs stored on equipment door handle between uses. On cookline. Removed.
- Old labels stuck to food containers after cleaning. On several pans in a clean dish area.
- Open dumpster lid. On two dumpsters. Trash and cardboard dumpsters.
- Storage of tools on a shelf above or with clean equipment and utensils, single-service items, and/or clean linens. Large screwdriver on prep table under slicer.
- Displayed food not properly protected from contamination. Ice at the front counter is not protected while not in use.
- Live, small flying insects in the kitchen, food preparation area, or food storage area. One live fly under dish pit. More than 15 live flies under hand sink at the front counter
35A-04-4 High Priority – Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found. Ten rodent droppings in debris on the floor behind toilets in the lady’s room. More than 15 rodent droppings in the frame of reach in make table on cookline also, nibbled a piece of bread. 12 rodent droppings in red roll cart in the back kitchen area. 10 rodent droppings on the floor near oil tank in the kitchen. One dropping in the chemical storage room. More than thirty rodent droppings under the bag in box soda rack. 8 droppings in a cabinet under the front counter.
- Interior of reach-in cooler soiled with accumulation of food residue. Sidewalls of the chicken cooler on cookline. Also mold-like substance on the interior of the ice machine.
- Paper towel dispenser at handwash sink not working/unable to dispense paper towels. Sink on the cookline.