Arrests made after police officer was hit by car



[Last updated on July 20, 2015, at 9:09 p.m.]

orlando news, ocala news, police lives matter, hit and run, police officer nit by car,
Edward Earl Kelty [left], Angel Nieves [center], and Alfonza Singleton
Orlando, Florida — On July 13, 2015, at approximately 2:43 a.m., Orlando Police Officer William Anderson was working extra duty at the McDonald’s located at 5400 S. Kirkman Road when he saw a vehicle that had been seen fleeing the scene of a shooting.

The officer then conducted a traffic stop at Kirkman Road and Vineland Street on the silver four door Nissan Maxima.

As the officer approached the vehicle with his gun drawn, the passenger, later identified as Alfonza Singleton, 17, opened the passenger side door and fled on foot.

The officer then attempted to move around the vehicle in an attempt to stop the passenger. However, as the officer attempted to run around the vehicle, the driver, later identified as Edward Earl Kelty, 17, accelerated towards the officer and struck him with the car.

After striking the officer, Kelty fled the scene without stopping.

The officer was face down on the pavement for approximately 25 seconds before a Good Samaritan blocked the officer with his car to keep other vehicles from running him over. No one exited their vehicle to help the officer during the incident.

The officer did fire his weapon during the incident.

According to reports, the Maxima was later found located at 1859 Lake Pearl Drive. It had been set on fire and the windshield was shattered.

The parents of the teens did not want their names or photos released to the public. Additionally, the parents filed excessive force complaints against the police officer for firing his weapon at Kelty as he attempted to run the officer over.

The Orlando Police Chief John Mina said that the officer was justified in the shooting and that he had the right to defend himself.

Chief John Mina said, “I am sick and tired of people running from law enforcement and not complying with our orders.”

He said, “These individuals used their car as a deadly weapon and there is no excuse for that.”

A third person in the vehicle, Angel Nieves, 17, was also arrested.

Article continued below

Officer Anderson, his wife Jessica, and their 18-month-old girl.
Officer Anderson, his wife Jessica, and their 18-month-old girl.

On Thursday, Officer Anderson’s status was escalated from stable to serious condition. He was transported to UF Shands Hospital in Gainesville.

The Orlando Police Department also released radio transmissions from the morning of the incident on Thursday. During the transmissions, Officer Robinson told dispatch he fired two shots, which suggests the third shot came from inside the car. These details are still being investigated.

Chief John Mina said Kelty was shot by Anderson through the window of the car. He was released from the hospital and transferred to a juvenile detention center Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators said that Nieves drove Kelty to the hospital. He then removed evidence from the car and set it on fire.

Kelty was arrested and charged with Attempted Second-Degree Murder on a Law Enforcement Officer and Resisting Arrest With Violence. So far, Nieves has been charged with Tampering with Evidence. Singleton was charged with Resisting Arrest.

State Attorney Spokeswoman Angela Starke said they have not made the determination about whether or not the suspects will be charged as adults. She said it is too early in the investigation to make that decision.

If anyone in the Orlando or surrounding areas have any information about this case, or witnessed this incident, call Crimeline at 1-800-423-TIPS. Callers can remain anonymous and receive a cash reward.

Follow and like us: